Skip to main content

Homeschool is not for us

For several reasons I feel the need to defend my decision to send my children to public school.   Somebody implied that I did not do my research and I did not pray about the decision.  Both of which are false.  We feel at this point in time our children need to be in school.  We are capable of homeschooling.  However, it isn't where our kids need to be.  Jake has done very well in school.  It has helped him a great deal in being able to control his emotions.  He learned how to make friends.  He has become more outgoing and more creative.

  Victoria has learned so much in the past few days. She can not wait to go back to school.  She is coming out of shell and making friends. 

Do I think that my children will be exposed to things which may not be in line with what we teach at home?  Yup. However they are exposed to that by being exposed to that through family and friends. 

The majority of people I know who have home schooled have done their children a great injustice.  The majority of people I know don't not have good structure or good resources in order to educate their children. I see home schooled children who struggle socially and academically.  In my experience there is a small minority who do a great job of educating their children. 

Since this is my blog I can share my opinion.  You don't have to agree.

Comments

  1. Hate to break it to your opposition, but your kids are going to learn all kinds of things outside of the home once they get old enough. Best to introduce them to it now while you can still guide them to healthy and intelligent decisions instead of feeding them to the wolves by sheltering their every move. Socialization is HUGE for kids, I saw an amazing degradation in both my sisters after my parents put them in a home school type situation. In fact, neither of them have graduated from high school at this point (one is 21 the other is 23 with a child of her own).

    I suppose that's a long way of saying in my limited exposure to such things, I tend to agree with your decision.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This week was a Struggle

This has been a tough week. I worked some extra hours which were only five hour shifts but were still were time away from the kids. Kids are at their breaking point and wether or not they know it they need schedules and some stablness. School starts Tuesday and comments about how people hope my kids dont kill their teachers with COVID is neither helpful or accurate. Plus we had a budget meeting after months of no meetings. In which we found out that we had once again over spent in August. Which could have been stopped if we would have known earlier in the month. I sent $1500 to student loans. Andrew turned eight yesterday and I am so thankful for him. He is become such a deep thinker and asks these amazing questions that I don't always have the answers to. The meds have helped slow him down but he is still crazy Andrew. We upped the medications and it was like he was on speed. He couldn't sleep and was kind of zombie like. Then there has been a few moments wher

The one you feed...

A few weeks ago Lee text me this story.  One evening, an elderly cherokee brave told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. he said "my son, the battle is between two 'wolves' inside us all. one is evil. it is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. the other is good. it is joy, peace love, hope serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith." the grandson though about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "which wolf wins?..." the old cherokee simply replied, "the one that you feed"  One I have heard 100 times but one that I needed at that moment although I didn't know it.  There have been several situations that have happened these past few weeks and I keep thinking of that story and I have to remind myself which wolf I am feeding. There